The Sierra Leonean government on Wednesday confirmed the arrival of the first batch of migrants deported from the United States under an arrangement between the two countries.
Minister of Information and Civic Education Chernor Bah confirmed the development to Xinhua, saying the deportees arrived earlier in the day at the Freetown International Airport.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Timothy Musa Kabba said that the flight carried 25 migrants from Senegal, Ghana, Guinea, and Nigeria.
READ ALSO: Nigerian military says 20 IS fighters killed in joint operation with U.S.
According to Kabba, the West African nation is expected to receive up to 300 nationals from member states of the Economic Community of West African States annually, with a maximum of 25 deportees per month.
It remains unclear whether migrants deported to Sierra Leone will be allowed to stay in the country or later repatriated to their countries of origin.
